The use of personal electronics such as cell phones*, iPods, PSP, or similar devices used for music, games, or communication is prohibited on campus during school hours. Parents who wish to contact their child for any reason during the school day must do so by calling the school office. Staff will not be held responsible for any device that is lost, damaged, or stolen. The use of personal electronics is a major disruption to learning and will result in confiscation. The device will be returned only to the parent.
Cell phones must be powered off during school hours – 7:30 AM to 2:40 PM – and should be securely put away in the student’s backpack. Having the phone powered on during school hours will result in confiscation. Silent mode, vibrate mode, or text messaging is prohibited during school hours.
Each student receives a laminated ID card. This card is required identification for students while on campus and must be presented at school functions such as dances or field trips. If an ID card is lost, it must be replaced. There is a fee for replacement. The ASB replaces ID cards on Fridays at the ASB store. The ASB sticker, which is affixed to the ID card, gives discounts on dances, supplies, yearbooks, etc. Proceeds from the sales of ASB stickers provide funds for activities, awards, and other functions.
We are a closed campus. Students are to remain on campus for the entire school day. If a student has a valid reason to leave campus, he/she must present a note to the attendance office to obtain an off-campus permit. In case of illness, the permit will be issued through the nurse’s office.Students without a current emergency card will not be released. Notes for off-campus permits must be presented to the office before school. A call slip will be sent for the student at the designated time. When returning to school, students must check in at the office. A student who leaves campus without authorization from the nurse, attendance office, or administrator will be considered truant.
Students are not to bring to school items which are not related to instruction. Prohibited items will be confiscated and returned only to parents. Items kept over 15 days and not claimed by the parents may be discarded. School personnel will not be held liable for prohibited items which are confiscated.
In some cases, prohibited items may lead to intervention by local law enforcement and suspension or expulsion from the school district.
A non-inclusive list of prohibited items which must not be brought on campus:
- explosives of any kind, including fireworks, party poppers, matches, and lighters
- alcohol, tobacco, drugs (OTC or other), and anything related to their use
- obscene or pornographic materials in any form
- anything used for gambling, playing cards, dice, etc.
- “slam” books, toys, stuffed animals, balloons, laser pointers, personal stereos, radios, headphones, video games, permanent marking pens (all types), spray paint, pocket (wallet) chains
- knives and shooting devices and any replica of one, including guns, darts, slingshots, etc.
Students are required to wear clothes that are neat in appearance and appropriate for school. Attire should protect the health and safety of students and must not interfere with or distract from the educational process. Students improperly dressed will be sent to the office and parents will be contacted to bring a change of clothing.
- Attire must not refer (in pictures or words) to the promotion of violence, sex, drugs, alcohol, gangs, or profanity.
- No type of covering may be worn on the head, including sweatshirt hoods, with the exception of items purchased at the ASB store with the Rancho Del Rey logo on them.
- Shoes must be worn at all times, especially closed-toe shoes in science classrooms and HPWB
- Half-shirts, crop-tops, and low necklines are not appropriate. Midriffs (stomachs) must be covered. Undergarments are to be covered. Shorts must be an appropriate length for school (no shorter than extended fingertips when arm is at side).
- Spaghetti straps, tank tops, and similar type shirts may not be worn.
- Pants must be worn at the waist and with a belt.
- The wearing, use, possession, display, or presence of any apparel, jewelry, symbol, accessory, notebook, or style of grooming that is recognized as affiliation with a gang is prohibited.
THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE AND DOES NOT ADDRESS ALL THE POTENTIAL SITUATIONS THAT MAY JEOPARDIZE THE SAFETY OF STUDENTS OR DISRUPT THE INTEGRITY OF THE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT. PLEASE REFER TO THE Student Handbook FOR DETAILS